Full stack EngineerApply for Job
Do you enjoy shipping something you have brainstormed, architected, built and tested? Are you always striving to find simple solutions to hard problems? Do you think code that doesn’t have tests is by definition legacy code? Then you sound like the person we’re looking for to join our engineering team.
What is Tonsser?
Tonsser is the leading app and platform for youth football players with more than 1.3m players using the app to unlock their potential. The focus has been on building an excellent user experience that motivates, inspires and empowers players to be the best they can be and share it with the community... and discover life-changing opportunities.
With the vision of democratising the football industry to create equal access to opportunities, we make it possible for players to build identity and capture their performance through stats and video to compare with the community and earn attention from both local and global clubs.
But that is just one part of Tonsser. We know that football is not only about getting discovered, most players have that dream, but play with the objective of having fun with their team. We have built a community that shares our values and aims to revolutionise the next generation of footballers.
Full stack engineer at Tonsser
You will be joining the backend engineering team, which is the backbone of Tonsser. The backend is the owner of the main API used in Tonsser, which means it is used by our clients (iOS, Android, React and Admin).
The Tonsser API is built in Ruby on Rails, where we recently hit 100K+ LOC (with an additional 100K+ LOC of tests), so it’s a big system. The API is mainly hosted on Heroku, but AWS is also utilized for file storage, video transcoding and notifications. We use PostgreSQL as our main database, but also rely on Redis for caching/async jobs and Elasticsearch for search.
We currently have a React app that integrates with the API, but we have realized over the years that we much rather want to embrace the Monolith. This means instead of relying on a React SPA in a separate codebase, we want to start from scratch and build it directly into the API utilizing SSE (Server Side Rendering) and more specifically Hotwire. We already have an admin system inside the API, which is used internally by Tonsser employees, which rely on SSE, so it feels naturally to expand on that.
In the last few years, we have migrated most of our REST API to GraphQL. We still use our REST API, but that is mainly to keep supporting our backend driven UI capabilities. We are big supporters of automated testing (TDD) and over 5K+ tests being run every time a new commit is added to our code base. We use CircleCI for our continuous integration pipeline, which allows us to test new changes quickly and deploy to our production environment several times a day.
When we build something, you’ll be part of the process from brainstorming all the way to shipping, and beyond, to seeing how it performs and how we further can improve it.
Joining date: December 2021
Requirements for the ideal candidate
- You have minimum 3 years of experience working as a Fullstack Engineer
- You've built and architected well crafted and scalable APIs using Ruby on Rails or a similar web framework.
- Comfortable with REST, JSON and at least a curiosity into GraphQL
- Experience working with relational databases like PostgreSQL or MySQL
- Have knowledge or at least interest in latest Rails frontend stack (Webpacker, Hotwire)
- Detail-oriented, focusing on writing high quality maintainable code
- Writing unit and integration tests to ensure that your code is rock solid is a natural part of your workflow
- Is a team player who strives to improve not only themselves, but everyone around them
- Values developer productivity by automating as many things possible in your daily workflow
- Be fluent in english
Benefits (we know you want them)
- Be part of a company with Multinational DNA, where the official language is English but we speak: Danish, Lithuanian, French, Spanish, Dutch, Serbo-Croatian, German, Slovak, Portuguese, Bulgarian and Italian! 🌍
- Trip to Paris to watch Tonsser United play, and catch up with teammates ✈️
- Sweet swag! Tonsser United gear
- Nice offices in Copenhagen and Paris
- Healthy lunch for the office-goers
- 100% Work from home flexibility / Remote Friendly 🏡
- Access to football match tickets
- Free choice of mobile phone, laptop, monitor and other setup that you need 📱💻
- Donkey Republic membership, so you can explore Copenhagen / Berlin like a true native 🚲
Team of 15 hungry and kind girls and guys. Offices in Paris, London, Germany and HQ in Copenhagen
Backed by international investors and founders of companies like Spotify, Booking.com, Peakon, Vivino ...
Working at Tonsser means you're working on something very exciting: Shaping the future of football. Through technology we've seen a way to impact how new talents get discovered; we're changing the game of football by placing the power where it belongs: in the hands of the 265 million performers of the sport. For the football players to be in control, they need their own football identity. That's why we've built an app empowering football players to showcase their achievements and determine their success.
Curious to know more about us?
- Tonsser on LinkedIn
- Uncovering hidden football talent through social scouting app
- How a football app used data to challenge the best academies in Europe (Tonsser Medium blog)
- Huddersfield Town: Could e-scouting help Premier League side? (BBC)
- Tonsser, the social app for youth soccer players, collaborates with Nike and raises new funding (TechCrunch)
- Don't just take our word for it, check out our Glassdoor reviews
- Tonsser represents Denmark in the Nordic showcase as 'The next generation of superstars'
- Meet 'the national team of the underdog' (BBC)